ResearchThe research in our laboratory is primarily focused on unraveling mechanisms underlying molecular, anatomical, and functional specificity of neural circuits important for neuropsychiatric and neurodevelopmental diseases. Currently, we aim at： (1) Identify molecular markers for neural circuits involved in innate behavioral and physiological responses; (2) Investigate molecular and anatomical features of functionally distinct neuronal subtypes in the amygdala and prefrontal cortex; (3) Develop novel tools to facilitate the study of neural circuits.
Biography2016-Present, Principal Investigator, SIAT, CAS
2008-2016, Postdoc Fellow/Research Specialist, HHMI/FHCRC
2007, Ph.D., Duke University
2002, M.S., Peking University
1999, B.S., Shandong University
Selected publications1. Lei Li, Xiaolong Feng, Zheng Zhou, Huiqi Zhang, Qianqian Shi, Zhuogui Lei, Peilei Shen, Qingning Yang, Binghao Zhao, Shuran Chen, Lin Li, Yulin Zhang, Pengjie Wen, Zhonghua Lu, Xiang Li, Fuqiang Xu, Liping Wang. Stress Accelerates Defensive Responses to Looming in Mice and Involves a Locus Coeruleus-Superior Colliculus Projection. Current Biology, 2018, In Press.
2. Yubin Huang, Zhen Xu, Xiong Shanshan, Fangfang Sun, Guangrong Qin, Guanglei Hu, Jingjing Wang, Lei Zhao, Yu-Xiang Liang, Tianzhun Wu, Zhonghua Lu, Mark S. Humayun, Kwok-Fai So, Yihang Pan, Ningning Li, Ti-Fei Yuan, Yanxia Rao, Bo Peng. Repopulated microglia are solely derived from the proliferation of residual microglia after acute depletion. Nature Neuroscience, 2018, In Press.
3. Kunio Kondoh*, Zhonghua Lu*, Xiaolan Ye, David P. Olson, Bradford B. Lowell, and Linda B. Buck. A Specific Area of Olfactory Cortex Involved in Stress Hormone Responses to Predator Odours. Nature, 2016, 532, 103-106. *, Co-first author.
4. Naresh Hanchate, Kunio Kondoh, Zhonghua Lu, Donghui Kuang, Xiaolan Ye, Xiaojie Qiu, Lior Pachter, Cole Trapnell, and Linda B. Buck. Single-Cell Transcriptomics Reveals Receptor Transformations during Olfactory Neurogenesis. Science, 2015, 350(6265), 1251-1255.
5. Kyoung-hye Yoon, Tobias Ragoczy, Zhonghua Lu, Kunio Kondoh, Donghui Kuang, Mark Groudine, and Linda B. Buck. Olfactory Receptor Genes Expressed in Distinct Lineages are Sequestered in Different Nuclear Compartments. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2015,112 (18), 5558-5560.
6. Zhonghua Lu, Mary P. Heyer, and Guoping Feng. Roles of the Ubiquitin Proteasome System in the Development and Function of the Neuromuscular Junction. The Ubiquitin Proteasome System in the Central Nervous System: From Physiology to Pathology, 2010, 10, 167-180.
7. Zhonghua Lu, Hyun-Soo Je, Paul Young, Jimmy Gross, Bai Lu, and Guoping Feng. Regulation of Synaptic Growth and Maturation by a Synapse-Associated E3 Ubiquitin Ligase at the Neuromuscular Junction. Journal of Cell Biology, 2007, 177, 1077-1089.
8. Todd J. Cohen, David S. Waddell, Tomasa Barrientos, Zhonghua Lu, Guoping Feng, Gregory A. Cox, Sue C. Bodine, and Tso-Pang Yao. The Histone Deacetylase HDAC4 Connects Neural Activity to Muscle Transcriptional Reprogramming. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2007, 282, 33752-33759.
9. Huachun Sang, Zhonghua Lu, Yulong Li, Binggen Ru, Wenqing Wang, and Jianguo Chen. Phosphorylation of tau by Glycogen Synthase Kinase 3beta in Intact Mammalian Cells Influences the Stability of Microtubules. Neuroscience Letters, 2001, 312, 141-144.