ResearchA major challenge in neuroscience lies in understanding how sex differences in the brain, from molecules to circuits, synergistically contribute to sex differences in behavioral displays. All animals have evolved a repertoire of innate behaviors, whilst most of these behaviors display robust sexual dimorphism. Furthermore, many neuro-psychiatric disorders exhibit sex differences in incidence or disease outcomes. Earlier evidence indicate endocannabinoid (eCB) system in brain is organized differently in male and female, and this system is involved in the regulations of innate behaviors, such as feeding and sleep, and that of common neuro-psychiatric illnesses. Therefore, our current interests will focus on using state-of-the-art genetic and optogenetic tools to reveal (1) how eCB system-modulated sex differences in the brain underlies the sexual dimorphisms in innate behavior such as innate fear, arousal and sleep; (2) the role of eCB system in the neural circuitry contributing to the sexually dimorphic neuro-psychiatric disorders.
Biography2018- Brain Cognition and Brain Disease Institute, Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology, Accassociate Investigator.
2013-2015 Institute of Mental Health Research, University of Ottawa, Postdoctoral fellow.
2012-2018 Department of Anesthesiology, Xijing Hospital, Lecturer and Attending.
2009-2012 Department of Anesthesiology, Xijing Hospital, Ph.D.
2006-2009 Department of Anesthesiology, Xijing Hospital, M.Sc.
2001-2006 Clinical Medicine, The 4rd Military Medical University, M.D.
- Zhang YL#, Ke J#, Zhou Y, Liu X, Huang TW*, Wang F*. Sex-specific characteristics of cells expressing the cannabinoid 1 receptor in the dorsal horn of the lumbar spinal cord. J Comp Neurol. 2022 May. Accepted.
- Liu X#, Huang H#, Zhang YL, Wang L, Wang F*. Sexual dimorphism of inputs to the lateral habenula in mice. Neurosci Bull. 2022 Mar. Accepted.
- Liu X#, Huang HR#, Terrance S, Cao P, Wang LP, Wang F*. The superior colliculus: cell types, connectivity and behavior. Neurosci Bull. 2022. Online ahead of print.
- Tseng YT#, Zhao BH#, Chen SP#, Ye JL, Liu JJ, Liang LS, Ding H; Schaefke B, Yang Q, Wang LN, Wang F, Wang LP*. The subthalamic corticotropin-releasing hormone neurons mediate adaptive REM sleep responses to threat. Neuron. 2022 Online ahead of print.
- Yang C#, Liu J#, Wang J, Yin A, Jiang Z, Ye S, Liu X, Zhang X, Wang F*, Xiong L* Activation of astroglial CB1R mediates cerebral ischemic tolerance induced by electroacupuncture. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2021;41(9):2295-2310.
- Liu X#, Li X#, Zhao G, Wang F*, Wang LP. Sexual dimorphic distribution of cannabinoid 1 receptor mRNA in adult C57BL/6J mice. J Comp Neuro. 2020;528(12):1986-1999.
- Tseng YT#, Zhao BH#, Liu JJ#, Ding H; Wang F, Wang LP*. Sleep deprivation and adrenalectomy lead to enhanced innate escape response to visual looming stimuli. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2020;527(3):737-743.
- Wang F#, Han J#, Higashimori H#, Wang J#, Liu J, Tong L, Yang Y, Dong H, Zhang X*, Xiong L*. Long-term depression induced by endogenous cannabinoids produces neuroprotection via astroglial CB1R after stroke in rodents. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2019;39(6):1122-1137.
- Yin A#, Wang F*, Zhang Xia. Integrating Endocannabinoid Signaling in the Regulation of Anxiety and Depression. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2019;40(3):336-341.
- Liu X#, Chen C#, Liu Y#, Wang Z, Huang K, Wang F* and Wang LP*. Gentle handling attenuates innate defensive responses to visual threats. Front Behav Neurosci 2018;12:239.
- Liu X#, Tian F, Wang S, Wang F*, Xiong L*. Astrocyte autophagy flux protects neurons against oxygen-glucose deprivation and ischemic/reperfusion injury. Rejuvenation Res. 2018 Oct;21(5):405-415.
- Cai Y#, Peng Z#, Guo H, Wang F*, Zeng Y*. TREK-1 pathway mediates isoflurane-induced memory impairment in middle-aged mice. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2017;16;145:199-204.
- Wang F#, Li M#, Li X, Kinden R, Zhou H, Guo F, Wang Q*, Xiong L*. 2-Arachidonylglycerol protects primary astrocytes exposed to oxygen-glucose deprivation through a blockade of NDRG2 signaling and STAT3 phosphorylation. Rejuvenation Res. 2016;19:215-22.
- Wang F#*, Liang W#, Lei C, Kinden R, Sang H, Xie Y, Huang Y, Qu Y, Xiong L*. Combination of HBO and memantine in focal cerebral ischemia: is there a synergistic effect? Mol Neurobiol. 2015;52:1458-66.
- Wang F#, Zhong H#, Li X, Peng Y, Kinden R, Liang W, Li X, Shi M, Liu L, Wang Q*, Xiong L*. Electroacupuncture attenuates reference memory impairment associated with astrocytic NDRG2 suppression in APP/PS1 transgenic mice. Mol Neurobiol. 2014;50:305-13.
- Wang F#, Gao Z#, Li X, Li Y, Li X, Zhong H, Xu N, Cao F, Wang Q*, Xiong L*. NDRG2 is involved in anti-apoptosis induced by electroacupuncture pretreatment after focal cerebral ischemia in rats. Neurol Res. 2013;35:406-414.
- Wang Q#*, Wang F#, Li X#, Yang Q, Li X, Xu N, Huang Y, Zhang Q, Gou X, Chen S, Xiong L*. Electroacupuncture pretreatment attenuates cerebral ischemic injury through alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor-mediated inhibition of high-mobility group box 1 release in rats. J Neuroinflammation. 2012; 9:24.