ResearchThe central nervous system (CNS) is considered to be immune-privileged from peripheral immune system in homeostasis. However, in the scenarios of neural injury, infective or degenerative diseases, the activation of microglial and opening of blood brain barrier leads to the leakage of peripheral immune cells and inflammatory factors into CNS which results in exacerbation of inflammation-induced neuronal death or inflammation relief and neural repair depending on the inflammatory context. We are interested in investigating the cellular and molecular mechanisms of peripheral immune system in regulating CNS inflammation during injury and neural degenerative diseases. Specifically focus on (1) understanding the mechanism of infiltrating monocyte in modulation of CNS inflammation post ischemic injury. (2) finding out the aging-related inflammatory mediators in contribution to the induction and progression of neural degeneration, such as in AD and PD.
BiographyAssociate investigator at BCBDI since 2018
2015, Postdoc researcher at German Cancer Research Center
2014, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg University, PhD
2009, The Second Military Medical University, MSc
2004, Tianjin University of Science and Technology, BSc
Selected publications1. Dehler, Sascha, Wilson Pak-Kin Lou, Liang Gao, Maxim Skabkin, Sabrina Dällenbach, Andreas Neumann, and Ana Martin-Villalba. 2018. An Immune-CNS Axis Activates Remote Hippocampal Stem Cells Following Spinal Transection Injury. Frontiers in Molecular Neuroscience 11: 1–12.
2. Liang Gao, Gülce Sila Gülcüler, Lieke Golbach, Helena Block, Alexander Zarbock, and Ana Martin-Villalba. 2016. Endothelial Cell-Derived CD95 Ligand Serves as a Chemokine in Induction of Neutrophil Slow Rolling and Adhesion. eLife 5 (OCTOBER2016): 1–20.
3. Liang Gao#, David Brenner#, Enric Llorens-Bobadilla, Gonzalo Saiz-Castro, Tobias Frank, Peter Wieghofer, Oliver Hill, et al. 2015. Infiltration of Circulating Myeloid Cells through CD95L Contributes to Neurodegeneration in Mice. The Journal of Experimental Medicine 212 (4): 469–80.
4. Liang Gao, Li Cao, Yang Qiu, Zhida Su, Geoffrey Burnstock, Zhenghua Xiang, and Cheng He. 2010. Blocking P2X Receptors Can Inhibit the Injury-Induced Proliferation of Olfactory Epithelium Progenitor Cells in Adult Mouse. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology 74 (7): 747–51.
5. Su, Zhida, Yimin Yuan, Li Cao, Yanling Zhu, Liang Gao, Yang Qiu, and Cheng He. 2010. Triptolide Promotes Spinal Cord Repair by Inhibiting Astrogliosis and Inflammation. Glia 58 (8): 901–15.
6. Zhu, Yanling, Li Cao, Zhida Su, Lifang Mu, Yimin Yuan, Liang Gao, Yang Qiu, and Cheng He. 2010. Olfactory Ensheathing Cells: Attractant of Neural Progenitor Migration to Olfactory Bulb. Glia 58 (6): 716-29.
7. Su, Zhida, Yimin Yuan, Jingjing Chen, Li Cao, Yanling Zhu, Liang Gao, Yang Qiu, and Cheng He. 2009. Reactive Astrocytes in Glial Scar Attract Olfactory Ensheathing Cells Migration by Secreted TNF-Alpha in Spinal Cord Lesion of Rat. PloS One 4 (12):