ResearchImplantable microelectrode arrays (MEAs) are important tools for investigating functional neural circuits and treating neurological diseases. However, current MEAs, regardless of the type, are incapable of seamlessly interfacing with neuronal cells or functional networks. My research focuses on developing novel bio-mimicking MEAs to overcome these drawbacks and push forward basic and translational neuroscience research. The ongoing projects includes 1) neural circuitry mechanisms underlying various neural disorders such as epilepsy, as well as potential treatment techniques; 2) MEAs for precisely delivering of neural transmitters to modulate neural network activity; 3) electrochemical sensing of neurotransmitters in vivo; 4) novel electrode materials for EEG and tDCS.
Biography2015 Ph.D. degree in Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering from University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
2015 Completed Center for Neural Basis of Cognition (CNBC) joint training program between University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University, and McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine (MIRM) training at University of Pittsburgh.
2009 B.S. degree in Biosciences at Life Science School of University of Science and Technology of China(USTC)
Selected publications1. Xinyang Qi(#), Zhanhong Jeff Du(#), Lin Zhu(#), Xuemei Liu, Hua Xu, Zheng Zhou, Cheng Zhong, Shijiang Li, Liping Wang, and Zhijun Zhang. "The Glutamatergic Postrhinal Cortex–Ventrolateral Orbitofrontal Cortex Pathway Regulates Spatial Memory Retrieval." Neuroscience Bulletin (2019/01/02 2019).
2. Zhanhong Jeff Du, Guo-Qiang Bi, and Xinyan Tracy Cui. "Electrically Controlled Neurochemical Release from Dual-Layer Conducting Polymer Films for Precise Modulation of Neural Network Activity in Rat Barrel Cortex." Advanced Functional Materials (2017): 1703988-n/a.
3. Ian Taylor, Zhanhong Jeff Du, Emma Bigelow, James Eles, Anthony R. Horner, Kasey A. Catt, Stephen Weber, Brian Jamieson, and Xinyan Tracy Cui. "Aptamer-Functionalized Neural Recording Electrodes for the Direct Measurement of Cocaine in Vivo." Journal of Materials Chemistry B 5, no. 13 (2017): 2445-58.
4. Zhanhong Jeff Du(#), Christi L Kolarcik(#), Takashi D Y Kozai, Silvia D Luebben, Shawn A Sapp, Xin Sally Zheng, James A Nabity, and X Tracy Cui. "Ultrasoft Microwire Neural Electrodes Improve Chronic Tissue Integration." Acta Biomater 53 (Feb 06 2017): 46-58.
5. Takashi D Y Kozai, Kasey Catt, Zhanhong Du, Kyounghwan Na, Onnop Srivannavit, Razi-ul M. Haque, John Seymour, Kensall D. Wise, Euisik Yoon, and X. Tracy Cui. "Chronic in Vivo Evaluation of Pedot/Cnt for Stable Neural Recordings." IEEE transactions on bio-medical engineering 63, no. 1 (06/15 2016): 111-19.
6. Zhanhong Jeff Du, Xiliang Luo, Cassandra L. Weaver, and Xinyan Tracy Cui. "Poly(3,4-Ethylenedioxythiophene)-Ionic Liquid Coating Improves Neural Recording and Stimulation Functionality of Meas." Journal of Materials Chemistry C 3, no. 25 (2015): 6515-24.
7. Christi L Kolarcik, Kasey Catt, Erika Rost, Ingrid N Albrecht, Dennis Bourbeau, Zhanhong Du, Takashi D Y Kozai, Xiliang Luo, Douglas J Weber, and X Tracy Cui. "Evaluation of Poly(3,4-Ethylenedioxythiophene)/Carbon Nanotube Neural Electrode Coatings for Stimulation in the Dorsal Root Ganglion." J Neural Eng 12, no. 1 (Feb 2015): 016008.
8. Takashi D.Y. Kozai, Zhanhong Du, Zhannetta V. Gugel, Matthew A. Smith, Steven M. Chase, Lance M. Bodily, Ellen M. Caparosa, Robert M. Friedlander, and X. Tracy Cui. "Comprehensive Chronic Laminar Single-Unit, Multi-Unit, and Local Field Potential Recording Performance with Planar Single Shank Electrode Arrays." J Neurosci Methods 242C (Dec 24 2014): 15-40.
9. Nicolas Alba, Zhanhong Du, Kasey Catt, Takashi Kozai, and Xinyan Cui. "In Vivo Electrochemical Analysis of a Pedot/Mwcnt Neural Electrode Coating." Biosensors 5, no. 4 (2015): 618.