ResearchIn the past decade, the group has been working on the development of virus-based tools for neuro-circuits. By combining current advances in the related fields, such as neurobiology, molecular & cellular biology, virology, neuroimaging and bioengineering, the laboratory has been focused on developing virus-based tools that are of low toxic, high sensitivity, flexible, simple, cell specific, spread direction and range controllable labeling of neuro-circuit in various type of species. Hundreds the tracers have been commercialized and used broadly. In addition, more attentions are being paid to the development of vectors for therapeutical purposes.
BiographyBS (1983) and MS (1986) in chemistry from Lanzhou University;
PhDs (chemistry, 1994; and physiology, 1998) from the University of Kentucky;
Postdoctoral fellow (1998-2001), Yale University;
Associate Research Scientist (2002-2007), MRRC, Yale Medical School;
Professor, WIPM (2007-), and SIAT (2019-), CAS;
Awardee, “Outstanding Young Scientist” (2007, NSFC) ;
Board of Directors (2008-2014) and Standing Board of Directors (2015-), CNS
Selected publications1. Xu F, Zhou L, Wang X, Jia F, Ma K, Wang N, Lin L, Xu F, Shen Y, Magneto is ineffective in controlling electrical properties of cerebellar Purkinje cells. Nature Neuroscience, 2019, doi: 10.1038/s41593-019-0475-3
2. P Dong, H Wang, XF Shen, P Jiang, XT Zhu, Y Li, JH Gao, S Lin, Y Huang, XB He, F Xu, S Duan, H Lian, H Wang, J Chen, XM Li, A novel cortico-intrathalamic circuit for flight behavior, Nature Neuroscience, 2019, 22:941-949
3. Zheng N, Su P, Liu Y, Wang H, Nie B, Fang X, Xu Y, Lin K, Lv P, He X, Guo Y, Shan B, Manyande A, Wang J, Xu* F, Detection of neural connections with ex vivo MRI using a ferritin-encoding trans-synaptic virus. Neuroimage, 2019, 197:133-142
4. Zhou Z, Liu X, Chen S, Zhang Z, Liu Y, Montardy Q, Tang Y, Wei P, Liu N, Li L, Song R, Lai J, He X, Chen C, Bi G, Feng G, Xu* F, Wang L, A VTA GABAergic Neural Circuit Mediates Visually Evoked Innate Defensive Responses. Neuron. 2019, 103:473-488
5. Huang L, Xi Y, Yang Y, Huang X, Fu Y, Tao Q, Xiao J, Yuan T, An K, Zhao H, Pu M, Xu F, Xue T, Luo M, So K, and Ren C, A visual circuit related to habenula underlies the antidepressive effects of light therapy. Neuron, 2019, 102:1-15
6. Li Y, Li CY, Xi W, Jin S, Wu ZH, Jiang P, Dong P, Xu F, Duan S, Zhou Y, He X, Li XM, Rostral and caudal ventral tegmental area GABAergic inputs to different dorsal raphe neurons participate in opioid dependence, Neuron, 2019, 101:748-761
7. Yao J, Zhang Q, Liao X, Li Q, Liang S, Li X, Zhang Y, Li X, Wang H, Qin H, Wang M, Li J, Zhang J, He W, Zhang W, Li T, Xu F, Gong H, Jia H, Xu X, Yan J, Chen X. A corticopontine circuit for initiation of urination, Nature Neuroscience, 2018, 21, 1541-50
8. M Grobman, T Dalal, H Lavian, R Shmuel, K Belelovsky, F Xu, A Korngreen, and R Haddad*, A mirror-symmetric excitatory link coordinates odor maps across olfactory bulbs and enables odor perceptual unity, Neuron, 2018, 99:800-813
9. Zhang Z#, Liu Q#, Wen P, Zhang J, Rao X, Zhou Z, Zhang H, He X, Li J, Zhou Z, Xu X3, Zhang X, Luo R, Lv G, Li H, Cao P, Wang L, F Xu*, Activation of the Dopaminergic Pathway from VTA to the Medial Olfactory Tubercle Generates Odor-Preference and Reward, eLife, 2017, e25423
10. H Zhou, G Xiong, L Jing, N Song, D Pu, X Tang, X He, F Xu, L Li, G Levin, R Mao, Q Zhou, Y Ding, L Xu, The interhemispheric CA1 circuit governs rapid generalization but not fear memory. Nature Communications, 2017, 8:2190.
11. L Huang, T Yuan, M Tan, Y Xi, Y Hu, Q Tao, Z Zhao, J Zheng, Y Han, F Xu, M Luo, P Sollars, M Pu, G Pickard, KF So, and CR Ren, A retinoraphe projection regulates serotonergic activity and looming-evoked defensive behavior, Nature Communications, 2017, 8:14908
12. R Wu, Y Liu, L Wang, B Li, F Xu*, Activity Patterns Elicited by Airflow in the Olfactory Bulb and Their Possible Functions. Journal of Neuroscience, 2017, 37:10700-11
13. L Yang, F Dong, Q Yang, P Yang, R Wu, Q Wu, D Wu, C Li, Y Zhong, Y Lu, X Cheng, F Xu, L Chen, L Bao, X Zhang, FGF13 Selectively Regulates Heat Nociception by Interacting with Nav1.7. Neuron, 2017, 93:806-821
14. Y Yang#, Z Wang#, S Jin#, D Gao, N Liu, S Chen, S Zhang, Q Liu, E Liu, X Wang, X Liang, P Wei, X Li, Y Li, C Yue, H Li, Y Wang, Q Wang, D Ke, Q Xie, F Xu, L Wang, JZ Wang. Opposite monosynaptic scaling of BLP-vCA1 inputs governs hopefulness- and helplessness-modulated spatial learning and memory. Nature Communications, 2016, 7:11935
15. H Yang, J Yang, W Xi, S Hao, B Luo, X He, Z Hu, H Lou, Y Yu, F Xu, S Duan, H Wang, Laterodorsal tegmentum interneuron subtypes oppositely regulate olfactory cue-induced innate fear. Nature Neuroscience, 2016, 19:283-9.