ResearchSleep, learning and memory are complex phenomena that are of great importance for survival. Although the quantity and quality of sleep have a profound impact on learning and memory, the exact mechanisms are not known. Daily learning experience was suggested to be helpful to improve sleep. However, the interaction mechanism between the two systems is rarely understood. Dysfunctions in sleep and cognition are usually associated with neurodegenerative disorders, such as Alzheimer’s disease. To investigate the molecular and cellular basis of the interaction between sleep and memory, we will employ fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster as the animal model and apply multidisciplinary approach, including behavioral, genetic, anatomical and imaging techniques. We will also take the advantage of the platforms of BCBDI to study the same questions through cross-species verification.
Positions available in the Liu Lab at SIAT
The lab has open positions for ambitious and highly motivated postdoctoral research fellows, a research associate/assistant, and (joint) graduate/master students to investigate the molecular mechanisms and neural circuits of sleep and cognition as well as exploring novel biomarkers for the diagnosis and prognosis underlying Alzheimer’s disease. Candidate’s CV and two referees’ contact information should be sent to email@example.com.
Biography2019- now , Principle Investigator, SIAT CAS
2012-2019, Postdoctoral Fellow, Brandeis University
2007-2012, Ph.D. candidate, Kunming Institute of Zoology, CAS Joint Ph.D. candidate, Max-Planck Institute of Neurobiology
2004-2007, Research Assistant, Kunming Institute of Zoology, CAS
2003-2004, Biology teacher, Shijiazhuang No. 2 Middle School
1999-2003, BSc in Biology, Hebei Normal University
- Wei Yan, Hai Lin, Junwei Yu, Timothy D. Wiggin, Litao Wu, Zhiqiang Meng, Chang Liu*, Leslie C. Griffith*. Subtype-specific roles of ellipsoid body ring neurons in sleep regulation in Drosophila. the Journal of Neuroscience, 2022 (accepted)
- Zhiqiang Meng*, Qing Li, Yuanye Ma, Chang Liu*. Transcranial direct current stimulation of the frontal-parietal-temporal brain areas reduces cigarette consumption in abstinent heroin users. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 2022, 152:321-325
- Wei Yan, Zhiqiang Meng*, Chang Liu*. Selective memory consolidation of the binary compound in feature discrimination tasks in Apis mellifera. Progress in Biochemistry and Biophysics, 2022, 49(7):1358-1368
- Xin Jin, Yao Tian, Zi Chao Zhang, Pengyu Gu, Chang Liu, Junhai Han*. A subset of DN1p neurons integrates thermosensory inputs to promote wakefulness via CNMa signaling. Current Biology, 2021, 24;31(10):2075-2087.e6.
- Timothy D. Wiggin, Patricia R. Goodwin, Nathan C. Donelson, Chang Liu, Kien Trinh, Subhabrata Sanyal, Leslie C. Griffith*. Covert sleep-related biological processes are revealed by probabilistic analysis in Drosophila. PNAS, 2020, 117(18)10024-10034
- Chang Liu*, Zhiqiang Meng, Timothy D. Wiggin, Junwei Yu, Fang Guo, Martha Reed, Yunpeng Zhang, Michael Rosbash, Leslie C. Griffith*. A serotonin-modulated circuit controls sleep architecture to regulate cognitive function independent of total sleep in Drosophila. Current Biology, 2019, 29(21):3635-3646.
- Peter Bronk, Elena A. Kuklin, Srinivas Corur-Shandilya, Chang Liu, Timothy D. Wiggin, Martha L. Reed, Eve Marder, Leslie C. Griffith*. Regulation of Eag by calcium/calmodulin controls presynaptic excitability in Journal of Neurophysiology. 2018;119(5):1665-1680.
- Chang Liu, Paula R. Haynes, Nathan C. Donelson, Shani Aharon, Leslie C. Griffith*. Sleep in populations of Drosophila melanogaster. eNeuro, 2015, 2 (4) e0071-15.2015
- Chang Liu, Pierre-Yves Plaçais, Nobuhiro Yamagata, Barret D. Pfeiffer, Yoshinori Aso,Anja B. Friedrich, Igor Siwanowicz, Gerald M. Rubin, Thomas Préat, Hiromu Tanimoto*. A subset of dopamine neurons signals reward for odour memory in Drosophila. Nature, 2012, 488(7412):512-6