ResearchReproductive functions are under sophisticated central and peripheral regulation. The related malfunction leads to reproductive diseases which impose a heavy burden on society. The study of the brain-gonads axis at the neural circuity level will shed light on the basic mechanism of gonadal function regulation and potential therapeutic targets. Our previous work demonstrates that brainstem nucleus Locus Coerulous (LC) is an important hub for stress-related response of the brain. Currently, we apply a multi-disciplinary approach, including viral-based neural tracing, optogenetics, chemogenetics, single-nuclear sequencing and endocrinology to study the role of LC and related circuits in stress-related reproductive function disturbance.
2022- now, Professor at SIAT CAS
2012-2022, Associate Professor at SIAT CAS.
2017-2018, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Visiting Scholar.
2011-2012, Assistant professor at SIAT CAS.
2006-2010, University of Hong Kong, PhD.
2001-2006, Hong Kong Baptist University, BSc, MSc.
2000, Nanjing University, full scholarship to HK.
- Zijie Li#, Ziyi Lin, Shuqin Ji, Keng-Po Lai, Hin-Ting Wan, Chris Kong Chu Wong*, Lei Li*. Perfluorooctanesulfonic Acid Exposure Altered Hypothalamic Metabolism and Disturbed Male Fecundity. Science of The Total Environment, 2022, 844: 156881. (* corresponding authors，JCR1)
- Peilei Shen#, Shuqin Ji, Xulin Li, Qingning Yang, Bingxian Xu, Chris Kong Chu Wong*, Liping Wang*, Lei Li*. LPS-induced systemic inﬂammation caused mPOA-FSH/LH disturbance and impaired testicular function. Frontiers in Endocrinology, 2022, 13:886085. (* corresponding authors，JCR1)
- Quentin Montardy#, Zheng Zhou#, Lei Li#, Qingning Yang, Zhuogui Lei, Xiaolong Feng, Shanping Chen, Qianqian Shi, Huiqi Zhang, Shuran Chen, Zhijian Zhang, Binghao Zhao, Fuqiang Xu, Zhonghua Lu, Liping Wang*. Dopamine modulates visual threat processing in the superior colliculus via D2 receptors. iScience, 2022, 25(6): 104388. (# first authors，JCR1)
- Shaolong Yang, Mengzhen Li, Richard Yuen Chong Kong, Lei Li, Rong Li, Jian Chen*, Keng Po Lai*, Reproductive toxicity of micro- and nanoplastics, Environment International, 2023, 108002, https://doi.org/10.1016 /j.envint. 2023.108002. (JCR1)
- Kazumi Sunny Tsukazawa#, Lei Li, William Ka Fai Tse*. 2,4-dichlorophenol exposure induces lipid accumulation and reactive oxygen species formation in zebrafish embryos. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 2022, 230:113133. (JCR1)
- Keng Po Lai#*, Chau Fong Tsang, Lei Li, Richard Man Kit Yu*, Richard Yuen Chong Kong*. Microplastics act as a carrier for wastewater-borne pathogenic bacteria in sewage. Chemosphere, 2022, 301: 134692. (JCR1)
- Yuen-Wa Ho#, Jin Yan Lim, Yun Kit Yeoh, Jia-Chi Chiou, Yuyan Zhu, Keng Po Lai, Lei Li, Paul Kay Sheung Chan, James Kar-Hei Fang*. Preliminary Findings of the High Quantity of Microplastics in Faeces of Hong Kong Residents. Toxics, 10(8), 414. (JCR1)
- Kuo Lu#, Keng Po Lai#, Tobias Stoeger, Shuqin Ji, Ziyi Lin, Xiao Lin, Ting Fung Chan, James Kar-Hei Fang, Michael Lo, Liang Gao, Chen Qiu, Shanze Chen, Guobing Chen, Lei Li*, Lingwei Wang*. Detrimental effects of microplastic exposure on normal and asthmatic pulmonary physiology. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 2021, 416: 126069. (* corresponding authors，JCR1)
- Lingwei Wang, Danting Zhan, Xiaodi Liu, Kai Yang, Shipin Wu, Heng Zhang, Min Yu, Yimin Zha, Weibin Huang, Lei Li*, Rongchang Chen*, Chen Qiu*. Initial PCR Testing Negative, but Chest CT Suggesting for Viral Pneumonia Urges for Repeated Testing for COVID-19 Diagnosis. Frontiers in Molecular Biosciences. 2021, 8: 640788. (* corresponding authors，JCR1)
- Hoi Shing Lo, Beverly Hoi Ki Po, Laam Li, Aman Yi Man Wong, Richard Yuen Chong Kong, Lei Li, William Ka Fai Tse, Chris Kong Chu Wong, Siu Gin Cheung*, Keng Po Lai*. Bisphenol A and its analogues in sedimentary microplastics of Hong Kong, Marine Pollution Bulletin, 2021, 164: 112090. (JCR1)
- Lei Li*. A Lower-brainstem Structure Coordinates Acquisition of Negative Experience. Neuroscience Bulletin, 2020, 36(8):955-957. (* corresponding authors，JCR1)
- Shuqin Ji#, Lingwei Wang#, Lei Li*. Effect of Metformin on Short-Term High-Fat Diet-Induced Weight Gain and Anxiety-Like Behavior and the Gut Microbiota. Frontiers in Endocrinology, 2019, 10:704 (* corresponding authors，JCR1)
- Zheng Zhou#, Xuemei Liu#, Shanping Chen, Zhijian Zhang,Yuanming Liu, Quentin Montardy,Yongqiang Tang, Pengfei Wei, Nan Liu, Lei Li, Ru Song, Juan Lai, Xiaobin He, Chen Chen, Guoqiang Bi, Guoping Feng, Fuqiang Xu*, Liping Wang*. A VTA GABAergic Neural Circuit Mediates Visually Evoked Innate Defensive Responses. Neuron, 2019, 103:1-16.027. (JCR1)
- Yan Huang#*, Lei Li#, Kun Dong, Hongsi Tang, Qingning Yang, Xianglian Jia, Yundan Liao, Wenbo Wang, Zhen Ren, Lin Chen, Liping Wang*. Topological Shape Changes Weaken the Innate Defensive Response to Visual Threat in Mice. Neuroscience Bulletin, 2019, 36(4): 427-431. (# first authors，JCR1)
- Lei Li#, Xiaolong Feng#, Zheng Zhou#, Huiqi Zhang, Qianqian Shi, Zhuogui Lei, Peilei Shen, Qingning Yang, Binghao Zhao, Shuran Chen, Lin Li, Yulin Zhang, Pengjie Wen, Zhonghua Lu, Xiang Li, Fuqiang Xu, Liping Wang*. Stress Accelerates Defensive Responses to Looming in Mice and Involves a Locus Coeruleus-Superior Colliculus Projection. Current Biology, 2018, 28: 859. (# first authors，JCR1)
- Chunran Zhou#, Zheng Zhou#, Yushui Han, Zhuogui Lei, Lei Li, Quentin Montardy, Xuemei Liu, Fuqiang Xu, Liping Wang*. Activation of parvalbumin interneurons in anterior cingulate cortex impairs observational fear. Science Bulletin, 2018, 63: 771-778. (JCR1)
- Lei Li*, Liping Wang*. Modulation of Innate Defensive Responses by Locus Coeruleus-Superior Colliculus Circuit. Journal of Experimental Neuroscience, 2018, 12: 1-3. (* corresponding authors，JCR1)
- Lei Li#, Ping Ma#, Chen Huang, Yongjun Liu, Ye Zhang, Chen Gao, Tianxia Xiao, Pei-Gen Ren, Brian A Zabel, Jian V Zhang*. Expression of chemerin and its receptors in rat testes and its action on testosterone secretion. Journal of Endocrinology, 2014, 220: 155-163. (# first authors，JCR1)
- Lei Li#, Chen Huang#, Xu Zhang, Jiangbo Wang, Ping Ma, Yongjun Liu, Tianxia Xiao, Brian A. Zabel, Jian V. Zhang*. Chemerin-Derived Peptide C-20 Suppressed Gonadal Steroidogenesis. American Journal of Reproductive Immunology, 2014, 71: 265-277. (# first authors，JCR2)
- Jian V. Zhang#*, Lei Li, Qingsheng Huang, Pei-Gen Ren. Obestatin Receptor in Energy Homeostasis and Obesity Pathogenesis. G Protein-Coupled Receptors in Energy Homeostasis and Obesity. Progress in Molecular Biology and Translational Science, 2013, 114: 89-107. (JCR3)
- Lei Li#, Fai Tang, Wai-Sum O*. Preimplantation antagonism of adrenomedullin action compromises fetoplacental development and reduces litter size. Theriogenology, 2012, 77: 1846-1853. (# first authors，JCR1)
- Lei Li#, Wai-Sum O*, Fai Tang. Adrenomedullin in rat follicles and corpora lutea: expression, functions and interaction with endothelin-1. Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, 2011, 9(1): 1-12. (# first authors，JCR1)
- Lei Li#, Fai Tang, Wai-Sum O*. Coexpression of adrenomedullin and its receptor component proteins in the reproductive system of the rat during gestation. Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, 2010, 8: 130. (# first authors，JCR1)
- Lei Li#, Chris K.C. Wong*. Effects of dexamethasone and dibutyryl cAMP on stanniocalcin-1 mRNA expression in rat primary Sertoli and Leydig cells. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, 2008, 283: 96-103. (# first authors，JCR2)
- Yuk-Yin Li#, Lei Li, Isabel Shui-Shan Hwang, Fai Tang, Wai-Sum O*. Coexpression of adrenomedullin and its receptors in the reproductive system of the rat: Effects on steroid secretion in rat ovary. Biology of Reproduction, 2008, 79: 200-208. (JCR2)
(# co-first author, * co-corresponding author)