ResearchHypothermic treatment is known as a potent tool in neuroprotection in various brain disorders. My research area focuses on multiple functions of two mammalian cold-inducible proteins RBM3 and CIRP, which are exclusively induced by mild hypothermia, in neuroprotection and neuroregeneration after acute brain injury or chronic neurodegeneration (such as stroke or Alzheimer’s disease). In addition, I am also interested in their roles in related cancer biology, specifically in neuroblastoma.
2020-present, Associate Investigator, BCBDI, SIAT at CAS
2019-2020, Assistant Investigator, University Hospital of Regensburg, Germany
2016-2019, Postdoc, University of Basel Children’s Hospital, Switzerland
2012-2016, PhD, University of Basel, Switzerland
2009-2011, MSc, Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zurich, Switzerland
2005-2009, BSc, Sun Yat-sen University
- Yan J, Goerne T, Zelmer A, Guzman R, Wellmann S* and Zhu X*. The RNA-binding protein RBM3 promotes neural stem cell proliferation under hypoxia (2019). Front Cell Dev Biol. 7:288. (*co-corresponding author)
- Zhu X*, Yan J, Bregere C, Zelmer A, Goerne T, Kapfhammer JP, Guzman R and Wellmann S*. RBM3 promotes neurogenesis in a niche-dependent manner via IMP2-IGF2 signaling pathway after hypoxic-ischemic brain injury (2019). Nat Commun. 10(1):3983. (*co-corresponding author)
- Zhu X*, Zelmer A, Wellmann S. Visualization of protein-protein interaction in nuclear and cytoplasmic fractions by co- immunoprecipitation and in situ proximity ligation assay (2017). J Vis Exp. (119). (*corresponding author)
- Zhu X, Bührer C, Wellmann S. Cold-inducible proteins CIRP and RBM3, a unique couple with activities far beyond the cold (2016). Cell Mol Life Sci. 73(20):3839-3859.
- Zhu X, Zelmer A, Kapfhammer JP, Wellmann S. Cold-inducible RBM3 inhibits PERK phosphorylation through cooperation with NF90 to protect cells from endoplasmic reticulum stress (2016). FASEB J. 30(2):624-634.
- Chip S, Zhu X, Kapfhammer JP. The analysis of neurovascular remodeling in entorhino-hippocampal organotypic slice cultures (2014). J Vis Exp. (92):e52023.
- Kockmann T, Gerstung M, Schlumpf T, Xhinzhou Z, Hess D, Beerenwinkel N, Beisel C, Paro R. The BET protein FSH functionally interacts with ASH1 to orchestrate global gene activity in Drosophila (2013). Genome Biol.14(2):R18.