ResearchWe work interdisciplinarily with people from physics, chemistry, engineering and computer sciences, aiming at deciphering both the infrastructure of the brain and cellular mechanisms underlying learning and memory.
“Seeing is believing”. We developed microscopes to mapping the whole brain at sub-micron resolution to image how neurons connected to each other at the brain-wide scale. We are also tracking neuronal activities with calcium indicators and voltage indicators to uncover mechanisms how neuronal firing encode information.
Biography2019 – Associate professor, Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology, CAS
2016 – 2019: Postdoc, University of Science and Technology of China
2009 – 2016: Ph.D. student, University of Science and Technology of China
2005 – 2009: B.S., University of Science and Technology of China
(recent 5 years)
- Qu, Lei, Yuanyuan Li, Peng Xie, Lijuan Liu, Yimin Wang, Jun Wu, Yu Liu, Tao Wang, Longfei Li, Kaixuan Guo, Wan Wan, Lei Ouyang, Feng Xiong, Anna C. Kolstad, Zhuhao Wu, Fang Xu, Yefeng Zheng, Hui Gong, Qingming Luo, Guoqiang Bi, Hongwei Dong, Michael Hawrylycz, Hongkui Zeng & Hanchuan Peng. "Cross-modal coherent registration of whole mouse brains." Nature methods 19, no. 1 (2022): 111-118.
- Fang Xu, Yan Shen, Lufeng Ding, Chao-Yu Yang, Heng Tan, Hao Wang, Qingyuan Zhu, Rui Xu, Fengyi Wu, Yanyang Xiao, Cheng Xu, Qianwei Li, Peng Su, Li I. Zhang, Hong-Wei Dong, Robert Desimone, Fuqiang Xu, Xintian Hu, Pak-Ming Lau & Guo-Qiang Bi. "High-throughput mapping of a whole rhesus monkey brain at micrometer resolution." Nature Biotechnology 39, no. 12 (2021): 1521-1528. (Cover story) https://www.nature.com/articles/s41587-021-00986-5
- Zhi-Qin John Xu, Fang Xu, Guoqiang Bi, Douglas Zhou, and David Cai. "A cautionary tale of entropic criteria in assessing the validity of the maximum entropy principle." EPL (Europhysics Letters) 126, no. 3 (2019): 38005.
- Hao Wang, Qingyuan Zhu, Lufeng Ding, Yan Shen, Chao-Yu Yang, Fang Xu, Chang Shu, Yujie Guo, Zhiwei Xiong, Qinghong Shan, Fan Jia, Peng Su, Qian-Ru Yang, Bing Li, Yuxiao Cheng, Xiaobin He, Xi Chen, Feng Wu, Jiang-Ning Zhou, Fuqiang Xu, Hua Han, Pak-Ming Lau, Guo-Qiang Bi. "Scalable volumetric imaging for ultrahigh-speed brain mapping at synaptic resolution." National Science Review (2019).
- Fang Xu, Dong-Qing Shi, Pak-Ming Lau, Michael Z. Lin, and Guo-Qiang Bi. "Excitation wavelength optimization improves photostability of ASAP-family GEVIs." Molecular brain 11, no. 1 (2018): 32.
- Xu Shen, Xinmei Tian, Tongliang Liu, Fang Xu, and Dacheng Tao. "Continuous Dropout." IEEE transactions on neural networks and learning systems (2017).