ResearchIn healthy humans, physiological parameters, such as body temperature and blood pressure, are tightly controlled by the central nervous system (CNS) and maintained in a balanced condition termed homeostasis. It is believed that the metabolic homeostasis is achieved by feedback loops consisting of sensors, homeostats and effectors. In recent years, growing evidence suggests that the brain is the key hub which orchestrates multiple homeostatic processes. Specific neurons function as homeostats within the brain: they compute signals arising from peripheral sensors and send efferent controls to peripheral effectors. However, the locations of homeostats, their molecular identity, and their connections to the sensors and the effectors remains largely unknown. With the help of modern genetic, anatomical and neural circuit mapping tools, it is possible to dissect the pathways underling central control over homeostatic processes. My research will be focused on following areas: (1) genetic dissection of CNS cell types and circuits controlling homeostatic processes; (2) profiling of CNS cells during homeostasis and homeostatic breakdown; (3) methods to restore homeostasis in diseases; (4) intrinsic interactions between homeostatic processes.
BiographyPrincipal investigator at SIAT CAS since 2017
2013-2017, Postdoc Researcher, University of Heidelberg
2008-2012, The European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Monterotondo / Heidelberg, PhD.
2005-2007, Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin, MSc
2001-2005, Peking University, BSc
- ZhangZ, Shan L, Wang Y, Li W, Jiang M, Liang F, Feng S, Lu Z, Wang H*, Dai J*. Primate Preoptic Neurons Drive Hypothermia and Cold Defense. (2022). The Innovation,
- Wahis J, Baudon A, Althammer F, et al.Astrocytes mediate the effect of oxytocin in the central amygdala on neuronal activity and affective states in rodents. (2021). Nature Neuroscience, 24(4), 529-541.
- Ray S, Li M, Koch SP, Mueller S, Boehm-Sturm P, Wang H, Brecht M, Naumann RK.Seasonal plasticity in the adult somatosensory cortex (2020). PNAS. 117(50):32136-44.
- Yang WZ, Du X, Zhang W, et al.Parabrachial neuron types categorically encode thermoregulation variables during heat defense. (2020). Science Advances 6, 36, eabb9414
- Clemens AM, Wang H, Brecht M. The lateral septum mediates kinship behavior in the rat. (2020). Nature Communications11: 3161
- Clemens AM, Lenschow C, Beed P, Li L, Sammons R, Naumann RK, Wang H, Schmitz D, Brecht M. Estrus-Cycle Regulation of Cortical Inhibition. (2019). Current Biology29 (4) 605-615.
- SongK*, Wang H*, Kamm GB*, Pohle J, de Castro Reis F, Heppenstall P, Wende H, Siemens The TRPM2 channel is a hypothalamic heat sensor that limits fever and can drive hypothermia. (2016). Science 353 (6306), 1393-1398
- BattiL, Sundukova M, Murana E, Pimpinella S, Reis FDC, Pagani F, Wang H, Pellegrino E, Perlas E, Di Angelantonio S, Ragozzino D, Heppenstall PA. TMEM16F Regulates Spinal Microglial Function in Neuropathic Pain States. (2016). Cell Reports 15 (12), 2608-2615
- WangH, Siemens J.TRP ion channels in thermosensation, thermoregulation and metabolism. (2016). Temperature 2 (2), 178-187
- WangH, Schupp M, Zurborg S, Heppenstall Residues in the pore region of Drosophila transient receptor potential A1 dictate sensitivity to thermal stimuli. The Journal of physiology 591 (1), 185-201