Using combined approaches such as classic behavioral pharmacology, in vivo electrophysiology and novel neuronal modulation techniques, we try to understand the neural mechanism of drug addiction, anxiety and depression. The long-term goals of our research are: 1) develop new animal models of these disorders; 2) discover new targets to prevent the abuse liability of drugs; 3) develop new intervention technologies to treat these disorders.
Contact me about open positions for graduate students and Postdocs.
2019.1- present, Investigator, BCBDI-Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology, CAS
2017.3-2019.1, Postdoc, Brandeis University
2013.8-2017.2, Instructor, University of Mississippi Medical Center
2010.8-2013.8, Research Fellow., Harvard Medical School
2003.9-2010.3, Ph.D., Kunming Institute of Zoology, CAS
1999.9-2003.6, B.S., Hebei Normal University
- Zhang G#*, Li L#, Kong Y#*, Xu D, Bao Y, Zhang Z, Liao Z, Jiao J, Fan D, Long X, Dai J, Xie C, Meng Z*, Zhang Z*. Vitamin D-binding protein in plasma microglia-derived extracellular vesicles as a potential biomarker for major depressive disorder. Genes and Diseases. 2023 April 10; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gendis.2023.02.049
- Chen B, Jiang C, Su X, Liu C, Meng Z, Zhu Y*. The effect of pulsed electromagnetic field on the locomotor activity of mice and neurotransmitters concentration indifferent brain regions of mice. Journal of Integration Technology, 2023,12(2):1-9.
- Yan W, Lin H, Yu J, Wiggin TD, Wu L, Meng Z, Liu C, and Griffith L. Subtype-specific roles of ellipsoid body ring neurons in sleep regulation in Drosophila. The Journal of Neuroscience. 2023; 43(5):764-786.
- Leung ELH #*, Huang J#, Zhang J#, Zhang J, Wang M, Zhu Y, Meng Z, Yu H, Neher E, Ma L*, Yao X*. Novel anticancer strategy by targeting the gut microbial neurotransmitter signaling to overcome immunotherapy resistance. Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, 2023 Feb;38(4-6):298-315.
- Duan M, Meng Z, Yuan D, Zhang Y, Tang T, Chen Z and Fu Y*. Anodal and cathodal transcranial direct current stimulations of prefrontal cortex in a rodent model of Alzheimer’s disease. Frontier in Aging Neuroscience, 2022 Aug 23;14:968451.
- Meng Z*, Li Q, Ma Y, Liu C*. Transcranial direct current stimulation of the frontal-parietal-temporal brain areas reduces cigarette consumption in abstinent heroin users. Journal of Psychiatric Research,2022, 152: 321-325. (*corresponding author).
- Li Q, Fu Y, Liu C*, Meng Z*. Transcranial direct current stimulation of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex for treatment of neuropsychiatric disorders. Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience, 2022, 16: 893955.(*corresponding author).
- Yan W, Meng Z*, Liu C*. Selective memory consolidation of the binary compound in feature discrimination tasks in Apis mellifera. Progress in Biochemistry and Biophysics, 2022,49(07):1358-368. (*corresponding author).
- Meng Z, Berro LF, Sawyer EK, Ruedi-Betteschen D, Cook JE, Li G, Platt DM, Cook JM, Rowlett JK*. Evaluation of the anti-conflict, reinforcing, and sedative effects of YT-III-31, a ligand functionally selective for alpha3 subunit-containing GABAAreceptors. Journal of Psychopharmacology, 2020; 34(3):348-357.
- Liu C*, Meng Z#, Wiggin TD#, Yu J, Reed M, Guo F, Zhang Y, Rosbash M, Griffith LC*. ASerotonin-modulated circuit controls sleep architecture to regulate cognitive function independent of total sleep in Drosophila. Current Biology, 2019; 29: 3635–3646 (#Equal contribution，*correspondingauthor).
- Meng Z, Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation of the Frontal-Parietal-Temporal Brain Area Reduces Cigarette Consumption in Heroin Users, Brain Stimulation, 2019; 12(2): e15
- Duke AN#, Meng Z#, Platt DM, Atack JR, Dawson GR, Reynolds DS, Phani Babu Tiruveedhula VVN, Li GG, Stephen MR, Sieghart W, Cook JM, Rowlett JK*. Evidence that sedative effects of benzodiazepines involve unexpected GABAAreceptor subtypes: quantitative observation studies in Rhesus monkeys. The Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, 2018; 366:145-157 (#Equal contribution).
- Meng Z, Rowlett JK*. Self-administration of progesterone and synthetic neuroactive steroids by male rhesus monkeys. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 2016; 165:265-9.
- Meng Z*, Liu C, Yu C, Ma Y*. Transcranial direct current stimulation of the frontal-parietal-temporal area attenuates smoking behavior. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 2014; 54:19-25. (*corresponding author).
- Sawyer EK, Fischer BD, Meng Z, Poe MM, Namjoshi OA, Cook JM, Rowlett JK. Role of α3GABAAreceptor modulation in the anti-conflict effects of benzodiazepine-type drugs in monkeys. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 2014, 140: e196-e197.
- Meng Z, Rowlett JK. Self-administration of neuroactive steroids by rhesus monkeys responding under a progressive-ratio schedule of i.v. midazolam injection. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 2014, 140: e146.
- Meng Z, Sawyer EK, Poe M, Wang Z, Cook JM and Rowlett JK. Role of α3 subunit-containing GABAAreceptors in benzodiazepine (BZ)-related anti-conflict, reinforcing, and cognitive effects. The FASEB Journal, 2013; 27: 661.1-661.1.
- Meng Z#, Zhou D#, Wang J, Ma Y*. Chronic morphine treatment decreases acoustic startle response and prepulse inhibition in rats. Science China Life Sciences, 2010; 53 (11): 1356-1360. (#Equal contribution).
- Meng Z, Zhang Y, Chen N, Miao Y, Hu X*, Ma Y*. Effects of morphine on pupillarylight reflex in monkeys. Zoological Research, 2010; 31 (3): 282-286.
- Meng Z, Liu C, Hu X*, Ma Y*. Irregular morphine administration affects the retention but not acquisition of conditioned place preference in rats. Brain Research, 2010, 1311: 86-92
- Meng Z, Liu C, Hu X, Ma Y. P03-221 - Somatosensory cortices are required for the acquisition but not retention of morphine-induced conditioned place preference, European Psychiatry, 2010; 25(S1)-E1275
- Meng Z#, Liu C#, Hu X*, Ma Y*. Somatosensory cortices are required for the acquisition of morphine-induced conditioned place preference in rats. PLoS One, 2009, 4(11): e7742 (#Equal contribution).
- Zhang B#, Tan H#, Sun N, Wang J, Meng Z, Li C, Wilson FA, Hu X*, Carlson S, Ma Y*.Maze model to study spatial learning and memory in freely moving monkeys. Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 2008, 170(1):111-6. (#Equal contribution).
- Wang J#, Zhang B#, Meng Z, Sun N, Ma M, Zhang H, Tang X, Sanford LD, Wilson FA, Hu X*, Carlson S, Ma Y*. Learning large-scale spatial relationships in a maze and effects of MK-801 on retrieval in the rhesus monkey. Developmental Neurobiology, 2007, 67(13):1731-41. (#Equal contribution).
- Tan H, Meng Z, Liu N, Ma Y, Wilson FA*. A training program for visual discrimination tasks in monkeys. Zoological Research, 2006, 27(6):601-605.