The Brain Cognition and Brain Disease Institute promotes collaboration between the Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences and scientists at the McGovern Institute at MIT.
On November 16, 2014, at Shenzhen Convention and Exhibition Center, BCBDI was officially established and the plaque of BCBDI was unveiled, witnessed by Jianping Fan (President of SIAT), Robert Desimone (Director of McGovern Institute), Guoping Feng (Professor of McGovern Institute at MIT), Hugo Shong, (Executive Vice President of IDG), and Liping Wang (Professor and Executive Director of BCBDI).
Preparation for the establishment of BCBDI started in 2013. Donator of McGovern Institute—Lore McGovern, Nobel Prize laureate—Robert Horvitz, Robert Desimone, Guoping Feng, and Feng Zhang from MIT visited SIAT successively.
Timeline of Events
- On December 21st, Prof. Robert Desimone of McGovern institute at MIT visited SIAT for the first time and had an academic discussion with Prof. Liping Wang’s group.
- On January 20th, Prof. Guoping Feng of McGovern institute at MIT visited SIAT and the future site of BCBDI.
- On March 5th, the experts from the Guangdong Laboratory Animals Monitoring Institute visited the site of BCBDI.
- On April 14th, Mr. Qin Xu, mayor of Shenzhen, met with Prof. Robert Desimone and Prof. Guoping Feng.
- On May 15th, Mrs. Lore McGovern, Prof. Robert Desimone and Prof. Guoping Feng visited SIAT.
- On May 16th, the Director of Guangdong Provincial Department of Science and Technology discussed with Mrs. Lore McGovern, Prof. Robert Desimone and Prof. Guoping Feng about BCBDI development.
- On July 1st, Prof. Robert Horvitz, the 2002 Nobel Prize Laureate, visited SIAT and gave a talk to the faculty and students.
- On July 31st, Mr. Hugo Shong, Executive VP of IDG, visited SIAT and discussed with Prof. Liping Wang.
- On August 4th, the renovation project of BCBDI building was initiated.
- On September 1st, Evaluation panel of Shenzhen Peacock Team Grant visited the new site of the BCBDI.
- On October 22nd, BCBDI organized Chinese-German symposium “The role of glia cells in physiology and pathology”.
- On November 4th, Prof. Chunli Bai, President of Chinese Academy of Sciences, visited the new BCBDI.
- On November 11st, the Vice-chancellor of MIT visited SIAT and the new BCBDI.
- On November 16th, the opening ceremony of BCBDI and press conference were held at Shenzhen China Hi-Tech Fair.
- On February 12th, BCBDI members moved to the new building.
- On May 23rd, BCBDI held the kick-off ceremony of Shenzhen Peacock Team Grant ”Application of innovativegenome engineering on brain disorders”